2021 BACT High School Summer Internship Program
We will have two sessions from 9am-noon, June 7-11th and June 14-18th. Space is limited. On your application in the last question please indicate which session you prefer or if you are flexible.
This internship provides a hands-on opportunity to explore, learn and participate in a variety of scientific methods utilized in the environmental field.
- In the field at one of our preserves in Barrington: June 7-11 or June 14-18, 9am – Noon.
- Additional ongoing citizen science project throughout the summer during your own time.
- Intern Recognition and Presentations August 17th, 6-7:30pm Far Field Nature Preserve
The internship is unpaid and provides invaluable experience for your college resume, as well as insight into possible career opportunities.
Outdoors at Pederson or Far Field Nature Preserves located in Barrington, IL.
Who is eligible?
To be considered, you must be:
- A current high school student, including incoming freshmen through seniors who graduate the spring immediately before the program.
- Must commit to program dates and times.
- Completed applications must be received by April 15.
- Space is limited to 8 applicants per session.
- Applicants will be interviewed via zoom after their application is received.
- $50 fee to cover the cost of supplies – payable upon acceptance into program*
*Please contact our office if your student requires financial assistance.
How to apply:
Use your application to tell us who you are. In particular, we want to know about your strengths, interests and experiences in these areas:
- Interest in ecology or environmental topics.
- Experience and interest in spending time outdoors.
- Leadership skills and/or responsibility.
- Participation with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations.
2021 Intern Experiences
The internship helped expand my perception of nature in a way that’s useful as a student and citizen, and could also be useful on a professional level in the future.
I learned so much from the BACT internship including new perspectives that helped me to value the environment and human’s relationship with the environment in an entirely new way.
Interning at BACT was a really eye-opening and insightful experience that allowed me to not only develop skills in the environmental field, but as a community citizen too. It was a lot of fun!
I think that the BACT internship is a way to experience and learn everything about nature and how it can effect us as humans.
Throughout my time participating in the BACT internship I was able to discover a multitude of different approaches to environmentalism and the conservation movement. I have become fulfilled in learning that true development in science only occurs when it is able to include multiple diverse and intersectional perspectives. I want to thank my fellow interns, Navraaz, Kat and all of the riveting speakers that graciously dedicated their time to enrich all of our experiences.
Participating in the BACT internship was a great opportunity because I was able to learn so much about both the natural environment through hands on activities, and about the importance of conservation efforts in our world through the perspectives of different conservationists and environmental scientists. I’m so glad I was able to be a part of such a cool experience!!