Assist BACT’s [email protected] Coordinator with school fieldwork experiences, summer internships and classroom presentations for high school students. Lots of different opportunities! Feel free to volunteer to help with one or all of the following:
- Summer Internships: During the first 2 weeks of June, assist with habitat restoration education, stream monitoring experiences, as well as data collection and reporting at BACT preserves located in Barrington, IL. You do not need to commit to the entire timeframe.
- Assist the [email protected] Coordinator with fieldwork experiences for high school students during the school year. Future opportunities could include running your own field experience program if desired. Topics could include: habitat restoration, pollinators, stream monitoring, organic farming, citizen science monitoring, etc. (Hours and dates will vary)
- Provide classroom presentations to high school students. BACT will provide the educational materials and powerpoint presentations. (Hours and dates will vary)
- Enjoys spending time in nature and working with students!
- Passionate about sparking an interest in the natural sciences and motivating youth to be active environmental stewards.
- Easily builds rapport with students, working within a broad, diverse and inclusive environment. Is familiar with the developmental needs of middle/high school youth.
- Outgoing, flexible, friendly and willing to have fun!
- Helpful, but not necessary, to have some knowledge of native plants and their habitats, invasive plants and their control and general ecology concepts.
- Able to traverse uneven terrain in a wide variety of weather conditions.
- An interest in conservation, environmental education and the mission of BACT.
- A completed volunteer application, including completed liability and photo release form.
- An interview with the [email protected] Coordinator.
- All are welcome! – Retired teachers, college students, anyone who enjoys spending time in nature, getting a little dirty and inspiring our next generation of conservation stewards!
To apply please contact us at [email protected] or give us a call at 847-387-3149.